Online Fanboyz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Ferrari Challenge Rouls
Little big planet EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 3:57 pm by GTNeidher

» GTP5 Online
Little big planet EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 10:01 pm by Hereward

» Home club
Little big planet EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 9:51 pm by GTNeidher

» Home....no it will be released
Little big planet EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 12:01 pm by Hereward

» Tonights Racing,
Little big planet EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 11:44 pm by Manse

» New NXE Dashboard update
Little big planet EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 4:38 pm by Evil Penguin

» ITS A BOY!!!
Little big planet EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 4:31 pm by Evil Penguin

» Gears of war 2
Little big planet EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 4:30 pm by Evil Penguin

» Post your Online ID
Little big planet EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 2:36 pm by Manse

Top posters
Hereward (346)
Little big planet Vote_lcapLittle big planet Voting_barLittle big planet Vote_rcap 
Manse (223)
Little big planet Vote_lcapLittle big planet Voting_barLittle big planet Vote_rcap 
bigjizzy (208)
Joker (133)
david79uk (104)
Evil Penguin (23)
Man of Kent (21)
SkytracK (12)
Curt (10)
Bansheeragger (7)

Gallery

Little big planet Empty
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Online Fanboyz on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Online Fanboyz on your social bookmarking website

Little big planet

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Little big planet Empty Little big planet

Post by Hereward Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:13 pm

Little big planet Littlebigplanet_kaidao345

In a game like LittleBigPlanet, sharing user generated content is a big part of the experience. Ever more so, protecting one's personal creations is going to be an even bigger issue. With players expected to swap content daily, one has to wonder how will players control the distribution of unique content in the do-it-yourself platformer?

The answer is that the game will utilize a simple system called "copyright" which is not the same as the legal sense. Players can "copyright" objects which are collectibles in their levels; copyright items can be used by the people who've collected them, but they won't be able to alter your content or give it away to others. Non-copyright items can be edited and shared freely by anyone. Additionally, you can control who is allowed to use your levels by setting a difficulty rating and/or giving away invite keys.

[Via Joystiq]
Hereward
Hereward
Admin
Admin

https://onlinefanboyz.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Little big planet Empty Re: Little big planet

Post by Joker Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:53 pm

hmm, I'm a bit of a copyright nut, and I think i would have preferred it if they had just made everything free. I don't think there's actual 'value' that needs to be protected here. unless they are suggesting people are going to start selling things. just seems like DRM for DRM sake to be honest. I think they had a chance to actually go with the times, the youtube generation, a generation that doesn't really care about copyright, it will take what ever resources it needs and make something else. just looking at some of the crazy anime mashups on youtube. I think they just gone and crippled something which would have been amazing.
Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hereward Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:19 pm

It's not copyright persay just a game structure. You "win" items for completing levels, say a car you can then put in your own levels. it gives the game a goal to reach. if you didn't have a "lock" or "copyright" feature I could download someones level and I would then have ALL the items created for that level including the stuff he'd won. thus there would be no point in me trying to win it and no point to the game. You can of course make any item "open" and all of them if you wish, it's upto the player who makes the level.
Hereward
Hereward
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joker Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:21 pm

ah sorry didn't understand there was a 'winning' element to all this, just thought they where doing it for the sake of it.
Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hereward Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:39 am

What's the Little Big Pop Up Shop? Well, what do you think it is? If your instincts tell you that it must be some sort of LittleBigPlanet-themed place that suddenly popped up out of nowhere, then you'd be right. It's apparently an activity center in Manchester, England where gamers can go and try out the game's creation tools. Before hitting the digital realm though, children and adults alike put their creativity to the test first by designing Sackboys with crayon drawings.

It's a pretty cool idea -- having a LittleBigPlanet workshop in your town. . It won't be lasting too long, either; if you want to check out the shop you'd better do so now as it will close up by October 4. Head out after school with friends, or take the kids one weekend. We bet that's what that old lady in the pic is doing ... having a cup of joe while the grandkids run amok in the store. Sounds fun.

Little big planet 2860100618_ceb7794289

Source PS3 fanboy
Hereward
Hereward
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joker Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:44 pm

any clients in manchester we *need* to drop by owen? LOL
Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hereward Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:00 pm

Noooooo Delayed due to terrorist links!(Joke)

PS3 Fanboy
LittleBigPlanet delayed worldwide, soundtrack at fault [Update]
Posted Oct 17th 2008 10:41AM by Andrew Yoon
Filed under: News

Uh-oh. LittleBigPlanet was due for release next week in Europe. Looks like plans are changing. According to GI.biz, Media Molecule's game is being recalled, and a new release date will be announced shortly. "Retailers are estimating the game may be delayed by three weeks until November 14."

According to our tipster Topsu, the cause for the delay may be due to a a song in the game's soundtrack, which quotes the Quran. Use of religious text in the game may be considered insensitive to some. We're currently investigating this story, and we'll update when we find out more.

Update: A post on the PlayStation forums discusses the questioned song in detail. SCEE responds: "During the review process prior to the release of LittleBigPlanet, it has been brought to our attention that one of the background music tracks licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Qur'an. We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence that this may have caused." The delay may be effective worldwide. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Hereward on Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hereward
Hereward
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joker Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:14 pm

got to be shitting me.

let me know btw when your sitting outside in the cold waiting for this one.
Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joker Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:15 pm

oh if the sale delay is not world wide then we're on the next flight to the US hmmk.
Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hereward Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:18 pm

Ok Media molacule have sorted it along with sony.....new master disc is dome and patch is ready to role, the delay time?......1 week! out 31st of this month everyone! Thats what I call quick work considering the task they had!
Hereward
Hereward
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjizzy Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:51 pm

Bad news for you PSN boys....

Entertainment company Sony has postponed the global release of a much-anticipated video game because of concerns that it may offend Muslims.

Copies of LittleBigPlanet are being recalled from shops worldwide after it emerged that a background music track contained two phrases from the Koran.

Sony says it apologises for any offence caused, and that a modified version is due to be released next month.

The game is expected to be a hit for the PlayStation 3 games console.

A contributor to an online games forum reported the presence of the phrases from the Koran, adding that mixing music and words from Islam's most holy text could be considered deeply offensive by Muslims.

'Sincerely apologise'

A statement on the LittleBigPlanet website said: "We're sure that most of you have heard by now that one of the background music tracks that was licensed from a record label for use in the game contains two expressions that can be found in the Koran.

"We have taken immediate action to rectify this and we sincerely apologise for any offence this may have caused."

In June 2007, Sony apologised to the Church of England after setting scenes in a violent video game inside Manchester Cathedral. On that occasion the game was not withdrawn.

...this is obviously a blow to Sony on the eve of what was expected to be a triumphant release of LittleBigPlanet.
Darren Waters
BBC technology editor

Read the dot.life blog in full

LittleBigPlanet, created by Guildford-based developer Media Molecule, has been described as a game about making games.

It lets gamers build their own playground levels and then swap them with other players over the PlayStation Network.

Everything that can be seen in LittleBigPlanet can also be created by gamers - from textures, characters, to objects and levels.

Manzoor Moghal, of the Muslim Forum think-tank, explained that words from the Koran should not be set to music because the words are seen to have come directly from God.

He added: "We must compliment Sony for taking decisive action by withdrawing these games immediately, and releasing a version that is not offensive to Muslims."
bigjizzy
bigjizzy
fanboy addict
fanboy addict

Back to top Go down

Post by Hereward Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:07 pm

Just been trawling youtube for some stuff on LBP delay after another nameless forum has some "idiot" waffeling your standard racist crap.....seems youtube is full of it as well, umpteen videoes going up and being consequently deleted by youtube, most just utter dribble. Seems like your australian and american pre pubecant is taking the week delay of LBP quite baddly and aparently it's all those "mooslims" fault. All jokeing aside Sony was right to pull the game the Muslim comunity games sites have kept stum about the issue and yet there getting some quite vile stuff being posted up which in essence is aimed at them, If they were to be more vocal...............All this over a computer game Suspect
Hereward
Hereward
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joker Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:20 pm

All jokeing aside Sony was right to pull the game

erm. i strongly disagree.

not least because 1. music is art, thus protected under the laws for freedom of expression. 2. (most importantly) if you don't like it don't play the fucking game 3. Toumani Diabaté the guy who did the song = Muslim.

i could go on... (i'm about a milli-second from a big rant here lol)
Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hereward Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:42 pm

Ahhh right this was my view until one of the moderators on GTplanet posted this little gem.....

I'm as anti-PC as anyone, but I don't agree with your analogy at all. If the lyrics had been in English then I doubt any problem would exist, however as they are in Arabic it makes them a direct quote from the Koran.

What this boils down to is a fundamentally different approach to religious scripture. Christianity is one of the few religions in which the 'holy books' have changed language and even meaning (the oldest bible bears little resemblance to the modern bible in many, many places), as such we are quite culturally neutral in it being quoted and changed.

Just about every other religion on Earth maintains 'holy books' in the original language and finds placing them out of context to be very offensive (Islam is certainly not alone in this way of thinking).

Try thinking about it this way, Islam treats the 'words' in very much the same way as Christians treat the 'image' of Jesus, now do you think people would be right to demand a recall of the product if it had an image mocking Jesus contained within it? That's a better analogy to work with, because that's a pretty close match in terms of how its seen.

Regards

Scaff

This was in reply to my post which was similar to yours Joker but also brought in the issue of political correctness. Changed my opinion on the subject. the "mocking" part is the fact the words are placed in a song out of context of the original meaning, cultural differences and cultural understanding.
Hereward
Hereward
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joker Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:56 pm

sorry, don't see how thats meant to change my mind

now do you think people would be right to demand a recall of the product if it had an image mocking Jesus contained within it?

no. case in point: southpark, have the dvd's on my shelf right now, rip the living shit out of jesus in a way that most people would be scared to do to anything in the slightest bit related to Islam.

this sums up my view (from the late great douglass adams)

Now, the invention of the scientific method and science is, I'm sure we'll all agree, the most powerful intellectual idea, the most powerful framework for thinking and investigating and understanding and challenging the world around us that there is, and that it rests on the premise that any idea is there to be attacked and if it withstands the attack then it lives to fight another day and if it doesn't withstand the attack then down it goes. Religion doesn't seem to work like that; it has certain ideas at the heart of it which we call sacred or holy or whatever. That's an idea we're so familiar with, whether we subscribe to it or not, that it's kind of odd to think what it actually means, because really what it means is 'Here is an idea or a notion that you're not allowed to say anything bad about; you're just not. Why not? - because you're not!' If somebody votes for a party that you don't agree with, you're free to argue about it as much as you like; everybody will have an argument but nobody feels aggrieved by it. If somebody thinks taxes should go up or down you are free to have an argument about it, but on the other hand if somebody says 'I mustn't move a light switch on a Saturday', you say, 'Fine, I respect that'. The odd thing is, even as I am saying that I am thinking 'Is there an Orthodox Jew here who is going to be offended by the fact that I just said that?' but I wouldn't have thought 'Maybe there's somebody from the left wing or somebody from the right wing or somebody who subscribes to this view or the other in economics' when I was making the other points. I just think 'Fine, we have different opinions'. But, the moment I say something that has something to do with somebody's (I'm going to stick my neck out here and say irrational) beliefs, then we all become terribly protective and terribly defensive and say 'No, we don't attack that; that's an irrational belief but no, we respect it'.

sorry but art (music and games) should not... ever...never ...ever never... never ever... be suppressed because of someone's irrational beliefs. (what ever the fecking religion)

oh yea and just heard Toumani Diabaté being quoted on this issue, basically he says this song (and all of his music) is his way to spread Islam and its message. i presume soon we'll find him dead on the streets of amsterdam.
Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hereward Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:19 pm

Hmm well were straying into religeon here, as westerners we really don't have a religeon which plays a role in our society, unlike Muslim society.....but lets move away from that aspect and lets look at it from an economic viewpoint, namelt Sonys viewpoint. LBP is a key title for sony at a key period of the year, Negative publicity is the last thing Sony wants and for this reason the game has been delayed for a week or 2.....When the system was launched Resistance was one of the original launch titles, in that game one level was in Manchester cathederal, It was simply the location and had no corolation to the story.......The shit the church and the press kicked up was prety extensive............Now imagine the possible press stories over the issue with LBP...........whole new ball game and one that Sony understandabley dosn't want to go through.
Hereward
Hereward
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joker Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:25 pm

why couldn't sony just release a patch that allows Muslims to disable the track from the options menu? simple. cheap. my freedom to listen to art intact.

don't see why i should be inconvenienced for someone else's belief, if they want the crazy rules then they should have to turn them on, leave the inconvenience to them.

Negative publicity is the last thing Sony wants

no news is bad news, this incident is just free advertising.
Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hereward Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:36 pm

The patch solution would seem to be the cheapest and quickest solution to the problem, unfortunatly not everyone has there PS3 "plumbed" in the the internet so the option to turn it off would not be available to everyone. Basicly the cost of recaling all the copys of LBP, destroying them and making new copies, then re distrobuting then globaly is HUGE....But obviously Sony feel they would lose more money if they didnt do this, this is not a small amount o cash and is not a light decision by Sony. but hey its only a game and it's only a week......Home anyone?
Hereward
Hereward
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joker Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:49 pm

i think they will make a bigger profit as a result of this. free advertising always helps. they really wont care about the issues at the end of the day as long as its sorted just after its been milked for every ounce of news coverage possible.

lets put it this way, until today no major news channel had ever talked about sackboy as far as i could see ... now he's a 'global figure' apparently. they have been pouring all over the story... and not just the song but actually going into detail about the features of the program (ie. free advertising)

also surely they could have sent all the shops an extra cd with the patch, to give to the offended customers... still cheaper than pulping thousands of cd's.

what i'm saying is that they have over-reacted to this on purpose. "don't believe the hype". they learnt the lesson from the 'church' story, religious strife sells... big.

(edit im not saying they included the song on purpose. well actually they probably did... but only because its a good song)

Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Manse Mon Oct 20, 2008 11:56 pm

god the world has gone politically correct mad , go look on you tube and read all the posts and comments about this and even the muslims cant understand what the hell all the fuss is all about , well i am goin to phone sony in the morning and tell them i have a problem with little knitted people with zips and see if i can get the whole thing stopped , not goin into detail here for fear of offending anyone but i watched an episode of porridge on UK Gold the other day and no way would that be allowed to be made and broadcast nowadays for fear of offending people but it can be shown as a re-run without any problems , i personally think too many people have the fear of people taking them to court and ending up with huge payouts as its so easy to do and we are living in a society that is vulnerable to it , anyway little big planet should be out on the 3rd of November if i am not mistaken for the rest of you PS3 boys to enjoy , gotta go now , got a Jehovas witness locked in the shed and as she has forced her views on me i am now goin to repay the favour and share mine with her , what a kind chap i am lol!
Manse
Manse
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hereward Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:03 am

Your a cynical neraly scandinavian LOL Sony have been very very quiet on the advertising front, at least in the uk, although they did get a nice bit in on Jonathon ross's's's's show at the weekend....Jonathon ross and ricky gervase sackboys anyone?
Hereward
Hereward
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joker Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:13 am

let face it they saved a couple of million on today free ads alone lol
Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Hereward Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:57 am

True but they also fecked off alot of there customers and shifted the release date back to put it up against fallout rather than farcry.......thats not good.....well not for my bank account LOL
Hereward
Hereward
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joker Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:35 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7681914.stm

Little big planet _45128101_6743594c-2984-4a81-a282-098c8c001fae

'No God' slogans for city's buses

Buses with the slogan "There's probably no God" could soon be running on the streets of London.

The atheist posters are the idea of the British Humanist Association (BHA) and have been supported by prominent atheist Professor Richard Dawkins.

The BHA planned only to raise £5,500, which was to be matched by Professor Dawkins, but it has now raised more than £12,500 of its own accord.

It aims to have two sets of 30 buses carrying the signs for four weeks.

As the campaign has raised more than anticipated, it will also have posters on the inside of buses as well. The BHA is also considering extending the campaign.

The complete slogan reads: "There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life."

Professor Dawkins said: "Religion is accustomed to getting a free ride - automatic tax breaks, unearned respect and the right not to be offended, the right to brainwash children.

"Even on the buses, nobody thinks twice when they see a religious slogan plastered across the side.

"This campaign to put alternative slogans on London buses will make people think - and thinking is anathema to religion."

Hanne Stinson, Chief Executive of the BHA, said: "We see so many posters advertising salvation through Jesus or threatening us with eternal damnation, that I feel sure that a bus advert like this will be welcomed as a breath of fresh air.

"If it raises a smile as well as making people think, so much the better."

The buses will run in Westminster from January.

genius, on my way to see if i can find a donation page on the British Humanist Association website.
Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by bigjizzy Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:47 pm

I saw this too mate Smile

I also shall be donating.
bigjizzy
bigjizzy
fanboy addict