Online Fanboyz
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Ferrari Challenge Rouls
throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry EmptyMon Jan 05, 2009 3:57 pm by GTNeidher

» GTP5 Online
throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry EmptySun Jan 04, 2009 10:01 pm by Hereward

» Home club
throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry EmptyFri Jan 02, 2009 9:51 pm by GTNeidher

» Home....no it will be released
throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry EmptyWed Dec 10, 2008 12:01 pm by Hereward

» Tonights Racing,
throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry EmptySat Dec 06, 2008 11:44 pm by Manse

» New NXE Dashboard update
throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 4:38 pm by Evil Penguin

» ITS A BOY!!!
throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 4:31 pm by Evil Penguin

» Gears of war 2
throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry EmptyThu Dec 04, 2008 4:30 pm by Evil Penguin

» Post your Online ID
throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry EmptyWed Nov 26, 2008 2:36 pm by Manse

Top posters
Hereward (346)
throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry Vote_lcapthrow away windows and mac... so says stephen fry Voting_barthrow away windows and mac... so says stephen fry Vote_rcap 
Manse (223)
throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry Vote_lcapthrow away windows and mac... so says stephen fry Voting_barthrow away windows and mac... so says stephen fry Vote_rcap 
bigjizzy (208)
Joker (133)
david79uk (104)
Evil Penguin (23)
Man of Kent (21)
SkytracK (12)
Curt (10)
Bansheeragger (7)

Gallery

throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry Empty
Social bookmarking

Social bookmarking reddit      

Bookmark and share the address of Online Fanboyz on your social bookmarking website

Bookmark and share the address of Online Fanboyz on your social bookmarking website

throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry

3 posters

Go down

throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry Empty throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry

Post by Joker Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:15 pm

yes that Stephen fry, he came to the dark side a while back, and here he is in a fantastic video explaining why you should use gnu/linux and not windows and not mac (and this if from a guy who had one of the first two macs in the country, the other went to the late great Douglass Adams)

http://www.gnu.org/fry/

transcript here if you cant watch the video.

http://www.gnu.org/fry/happy-birthday-to-gnu-english.txt

if anyone wants to try linux I have tons of cd's and i will help install if needs be. if you have any really old pc's you about to throw away that are two slow to runs windows... linux will work on it. prefect for testing and getting used to it.

obey Stephen fry... he knows more than you. lol.

Worth noting that linux can be installed on the xbox/360, ps2/ps3, dreamcast, gamecube, DS, psp.... pretty much anything with a processor really, even ipods.
Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry Empty Re: throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry

Post by Hereward Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:19 pm

Cheers mate, I await a GNU Linux PS3....... What a Face

throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry Linux-on-ps3
Hereward
Hereward
Admin
Admin

https://onlinefanboyz.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry Empty Re: throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry

Post by Joker Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:38 am

btw i know you can pick these things up for like £40 now, but if anyone has an old xbox they want rid of, i'll take it, i still dream of owning my own xbox cluster.

http://www.xl-cluster.org/

throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry ClusterX-1
throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry ClusterX-2

I should really start buying one a month or something (their cheap enough).... I should have started that along time ago. they are perfect for this kind of thing. plus theres something about running a linux cluster on a bunch of xboxes that just makes me smile on so many levels.

Last edited by Joker on Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joker Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:47 am

hmm they reckon 16 xboxes is what you really need to beat out some serious pc power, they also worked out that a setup would like that would cost $1400 a year to run on electricity... maybe some solar panels then? but to be fair 16 xbox does stomp all over high power pc's for cracking passwords (a bit of a past time to be honest)

throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry 5378

more usefully it can be used for rendering video/images/3d models of ct scans

throw away windows and mac... so says stephen fry 5382
Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Joker Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:52 am

Joker
Joker
technical admin
technical admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SkytracK Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:36 am

I may just try that Linux stuff I have old pc sitting there collecting dust what linux would you suggest for the beginner
SkytracK
SkytracK

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum